We are a group of Dental Consultants who offer, improved practice morale; a happier, more profitable patient base;and improved home life; increased collections. (And yes, our average is 35% in year one.)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Survival of the Fittest: Are You Starving While Standing On A Food Source?





By: Debra Quarles 
Salt DPM Consultant
Part 2 of 2 







 Moving beyond fear:

In order to achieve your goal, you must get past your fear.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
                     --- Frank Herbert, Dune

Fear of losing patients is the number one reason that change is not made and . . . patients are lost.

You can't fear change. In fact, all of us must dance faster to keep up with the technology that is coming, it seems daily. The only way past fear is to walk through it. So, how long do you want to suffer? Then perhaps you'd better get moving.

The people problem:
Sometimes it is a people problem and change should be made, but many more times the right people are in the right spot but they have been given a system that doesn't allow for their success.

I still enter practices where they have a computer that is used for scheduling as well as a paper book. Is it any wonder there are mistakes and surprise patients? I also find practices where charts are written in and computer charting is done. Computers are to increase our efficiency and effectiveness - to allow our teams to accomplish more in less time. Make sure your systems encourage that, not create more work and increase errors.

Make sure you allow for safe feedback from your team. Too many times they know the answer, but are afraid to speak up.

Surviving

It takes 28 working days to form a new habit. Almost two months for most offices. How many times do we forget "the change" and fall back on our old habits well before that?
I called an office, "Hello, this is . . .  I can help you." I told her who I was. She was so very pleased she'd answered the telephone with the appropriate new dialog. One week later, "Hello, this is . . . How can I help you?"

I'm not saying change is easy, I'm just saying it's necessary.



Debra Quarles is a coach/consultant with Salt Dental Practice Management. Savor success and learn more at www.saltdpm.com or contact her at info@saltdpm.com.
                          Article originally published by: Tri-County Dental Association
                                                       Follow us on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment