Do you struggle to organize your priorities? Or do you move one list of To Do’s from sticky note to sticky note? Here are ten ways to organize your day to be effective and efficient. Mark Twain suggests taking your whole list, breaking it down and then starting at the beginning. However, you may need more than one strategy to get you organized and through your day.
1. Prioritize. It is really important no matter what position you hold in the office that you prioritize what needs to be done. Stick with it. Don’t get side tracked when something else comes up.
2. Put things where they belong. Don’t take a short cut with items because you are busy. For example, don’t set charts on a chair because you don’t have time to put them back. Put the instruments in the autoclave right away.
3. Don’t put off tasks. I’m sure you have heard this a dozen times. However, putting off running that report only takes up your time later one. And you may not have time later.
4. Be efficient. When you move from place to place take care of each task along the way. For example, you have a message for the doctor, a chart needs to be returned and the bathroom trash needs to be emptied. Do all of those things at one time so you’re moving purposefully and efficiently.
5. Be effective. Do your job and do it well the first time you do it. Again this is not a new concept. However, look at each and every job you approach with the expectation of your self that you are going to do it 100% correct. It takes away valuable time when you have to redo a procedure, rerun a report or reschedule a patient because you put them in the wrong slot.
A dental practice is a busy place. There are lots of things going on at any given time. However, when you approach each day with an organized and efficient mind, you can end your day on time, have a lunch and a happy staff.
Great teams take effort. Take time to work on your practice regularly to build teamwork and strengthen your results. For more information and to read other articles, please visit us at www.saltdpm.com.