We are a group of Dental Consultants who offer, improved practice morale; a happier, more profitable patient base;and improved home life; increased collections. (And yes, our average is 35% in year one.)

Monday, April 1, 2013

Increasing our Intelligence




For years I was under the belief that my intelligence was a fixed number set mainly based on your genetics. I listened to individuals around me tell me they weren't able to complete a task, because their parents weren't good at that either. For example, in a conference one time a parent said to me, "I know my son can't do math, because I couldn't either."

However, then I read this book, "Mindset The New Psychology of Success."  It completely changed the way I looked at things. Don't get me wrong, I knew if someone tried hard they could achieve certain things, but I believed there was a cap on how high they could achieve.

A growth mindset let's you live your live not based on the genetics you were given but the abilities you foster and practice.

"A few modern philosophers ... assert that an individuals intelligence is a fixed quantity, a quantity which cannot be increased. We must protest and react against this brutal pessimism... With practice, training, and above all, method we manage to increase our attention, our memory, our judgement and literally to become more intelligent than we were before." (Carol Dweck, Pg. 5)

The two types of mindsets are fixed and growth. A fixed mindset believes you can only achieve so much. It is grounded in perfection and proving yourself. While a growth mindset allows you to engage in situations because you are going to learn. You worry not about what how you look but what you are going to learn going through the process.

Some of us may have a little of both mindsets and some may be a fixed mindset in some situations while a growth mindset in other situations.  No matter where you are at in your life, you can change, because you have a choice. "Mindsets are just beliefs." They're powerful beliefs, but they're just something in your mind, and you can change your mind." (Pg. 16) Stop and visualize where you want to be.

In the upcoming blog posts we will continue to discuss this book and help you work through where you are in your mindset, strategies than can help you move from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset and help you achieve the goals you have for yourself. Subscribe to our blog to keep up on this topic.

Find Salt Dental Practice Management on:

No comments:

Post a Comment